This is a step by step tutorial, making a FL Studio 808 trap/hip-hop drum loop
This is the final outcome of this step by step fl studio tutorial
1. First you will need to download the sounds which you will need for this tutorial, please download the sounds below;
2. Set the tempo of the project to 90 Beats Per Minute
3. Import project files downloaded for this tutorial into FL Studio.
4) Import all your samples into your channel rack as shown below;
5) layout all your kicks as shown below, make sure you have all 3 kick samples imported
- “JJ – 808 (4)”
- “JJ – Kick2” & “
- “JJ – TrapKick6”
You should have a sound like this now.
6) Now let’s add the snares as shown below, you should have 2 snares named;
- “JJ – Snare7”
- “JJ – Snare23”
Once you layout your snares as shown above you should have a snare sound which sound like this when played together with the kicks now.
7) Now fill in all the “beats/bars” inside of the Hi Hat as shown below. This is using the sample “JJ – HiHat 12”
8) Now right click on the “JJ – Hi Hat 12” and click on “Piano Roll” as shown below.
9) Now Select “1, Snap to grid” and then click on “2, select 1/2 step”. This will change the snapping of your input to snap to 1/4 step, it will give us more room to layout more hi hat and really create that trap 808 hi-hat feel!
10) Now with lot of playing around we have structured a quite common hi hat layout used by many music producers in trap / 808 hip hop beat industry. Please input all data with draw tool as show below.
You should now have a nice drum loop which should sound like this when played.
11) Now change the velocity of the hi hats to sound more natural. As you can see the build up to a roll start of with a lower volume and it builds up.
12) Right click on “pattern 1” and select “clone” this will now clone whole “pattern 1” and create a “pattern 2 with same inputs a “Pattern 1”. This will give us the same inputs on all sounds which means we can alter the drums on pattern 2 to sound different.
13) Now on pattern 2 input few more kicks as shown below.
14) Now click on playlist near the top middle of the screen highlighted in white and input pattern 1 and pattern 2 into the playlist as shown below.
Now when you listen to this 4 bar hip hop/trap 808 drum loop you should have something like our sample listed below;